Glasnevin Cemetery Museum offers exciting and engaging School Tours for students of all ages. Ideally situated in North Dublin, just off the M50, we offer tours that can be tailor- made to suit all groups.
Opened in 1832, Glasnevin Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Ireland and is the resting place of many men and women who shaped Irish history. Students can learn about these personalities and historic events through guided tours of the cemetery, interactive exhibits and learning packs – all of which are linked to the curriculum.
For Primary and Secondary Schools we offer:
• Educational History Tours –Students explore the history of the cemetery, the lives of famous figures such as Michael Collins, Eamon de Valera, Jim Larkin and Countess Markievicz; along with major political and social developments in Ireland
• Cross-curricular Tours can be tailor made – the interests of a class can be incorporated to make their tour even more engaging. For example Irish sport or writers, the Great War and the Irish Famine.
• Tours available in Irish
• A World War One Tour and Artefact Handling Session
We have developed interesting programmes which are tailor made for developing the Key Skills of Transition Year and provide an insight into research and public speaking.
• Transition Year workshops in Tour Guiding Training and Genealogy
We will help you to plan your school tour and ensure that students enjoy their visit. Glasnevin Cemetery Museum offers:
• Guidance from their Educational Department
• All tours include access to the museum
• Exciting Learning Packs and Primary Source Document Activities
• Free on-site coach parking
• Free entry for teacher/group leader
• A direct pathway into the neighbouring Botanic Gardens
For Third Level Groups and Adult Learners
As well as providing exciting and informative School Tours we also cater for Adult and Life-long Learning with lectures, tours and Tour Guide Training and Genealogy Workshops.
Our Tour Guiding Training Programme for Adult Learners is a two part programme that is designed for students engaged in the areas of: Heritage and Culture, Local History, Tourism, Communications and Pre-University Arts.
To book directly for the following months email email@example.com or phone 01 -8826577.
All tours can be tailored to meet the individual needs of a class. Please contact the Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org and log onto our website www.glasnevinmuseum.ie/education for more information.