Teaching as a career continues to prove a very popular choice for School Leavers and Mature Students. Kerry College of Further Education (KCFE) has begun to establish itself as a feeder for students wishing to progress to Universities and Teacher Training Colleges.
From next September, KCFE plans to expand its array of Pre-Teaching courses on offer. The aim of undertaking a Pre-Teaching course is to educate a student in a particular subject area while introducing them to the concepts of education and training; while offering them an opportunity to undertake micro-teaching and work experience within a teaching environment.
It will facilitate the student in making an informed decision on whether teaching is a suitable future career for them going before committing to a three or four year Degree.
Currently Kerry College of Further Education (KCFE) offers:
1. A Pre-Teaching and Education Studies course currently facilities progression several teaching training programmes and Arts Degrees.
2. Music and Theatre Studies courses will facilitate a student’s progression to second level teaching in Religious Education and Music at Dublin City University.
3. Art, Craft and Design course links into second level Art Teacher Training programme, at the National College of Art and Design in Dublin for example.
4. Software Development Course facilitates progression into the new University College Galway’s Computer Science and Maths Teacher Training degree programme. Computer Science is now a leaving certificate subject so demand for these teachers will increase going forward.
New from next September, KCFE expands the Pre-Teaching offering to include:
1. Sports and Physical Education Pre-Teaching is designed for those who are considering pursuing a career in PE Teaching. Physical Education is proposed as a Leaving Cert subject in the near future which will inevitably increase the demand for these teachers.
Once the Sports and Physical Education Level 5 is completed, students are eligible to apply for a number of reserved places on the Bachelor of Education Degree in Sports Studies and Physical Education course at UCC, designed for second level teaching. Places are offered on a competitive basis to eligible students who meet the desired grades.
2. Business Studies Pre-Teaching course is recognised as an entry route into Business Studies (with Accounting or Religious Studies) Teaching Training programme at Mary Immaculate College of Education – Thurles Campus, subject to grades achieved. This is a new route to teaching offered by Mary Immaculate and they actively encourage PLC relevant graduates to apply for places.
Many of the options outlined are subject to a student achieving their full PLC award and performing at a certain level in their chosen course, in order to ensure they are eligible for progression to further third level education. KCFE provides students with every support to help them achieve their goals and after that the sky is the limit.