The School of Nursing and Midwifery in University College Cork offers a wide range of programmes for enthusiastic and caring people interested in a career in the health services.
Now, more than ever before, we all understand why a well-educated, professional health care workforce is so critical to the health and wellbeing of all our society.
We have a range of undergraduate honours degree programmes including:
Childrens and General Nursing
Cao Points Range 2021: 565-613
Cao Points Range 2021: 509*-579
Cao Points Range 2021: 498-578
Mental Health Nursing
Cao Points Range 2021: 455-544
Intellectual Disability Nursing
Cao Points Range 2021: 431-496
All our courses are at BSc (Hons) level 8 and include registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). Students undertake clinical placements in hospitals, clinics, and community settings throughout the 4/5 years of the programmes. In the final year students undergo an extended placement as an ‘intern’ where they become part of the paid healthcare workforce.
Interests and specialisations
As a qualified nurse or midwife, you may choose to continue your interests and specialisations by choosing a Postgraduate Programme. The career options available are endless.
Qualified nurses and midwives work in all settings from the acute hospital to a variety of settings in the community and primary care, as well as roles in management, education, industry, and research.
We are very proud of our modern School and what it has to offer. One such example is the state-of-the-art Clinical Skills Simulation Resource Centre.
In this centre our students can practice skills on hi-fidelity mannequins in a safe but very realistic ‘clinical’ environment.
Have a look at the video online to see more at www.youtube.com/KpTnHzV7vQI
You should find all the information you need to help you make decisions about rewarding careers in Nursing and in Midwifery, and all the information about our various courses and course options on our website at http://www.ucc.ie/en/nursingmidwifery/study/undergrad/
but if there are any questions you have, that are not addressed, please feel free to drop us an email to
On the website you will also find information about entry requirements for our programmes, videos showing you our facilities and testimonies from our students and past graduates.
Facts about the School of Nursing and Midwifery UCC
• Ranked in the top 50 Schools of Nursing in the world in 2021, having been in the global top 100 place in the QS World University Subject Rankings for Nursing for five consecutive years from 2016-2020.
• Over 1,300 students are registered on 19 programmes with opportunities for nurses and midwives to study for undergraduate, postgraduate, masters and doctoral level qualifications.
• For the past four years, 95-100% of our nursing and midwifery graduates are in employment and/or engaging in further study.
• A strong and increasing track record in attaining in research funding.
• Seven internationally connected active research clusters producing a consistent scholarly output of over 100 publications per annum.
• Students and staff who regularly win national awards for their work.
• An ERASMUS programme of placements within the European Union for undergraduate students.
• International students from the wider EU and beyond for example US, Brunei, Malaysia, Nigeria, India, China, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Korea, Philippines, and Lebanon.
• The support of a dynamic and enthusiastic team who facilitate the education and support of students and engage in future-orientated person-centred research.
• Students experience exceptional teaching resources including a world-class Clinical Skills Simulation Resource Centre located in our Brookfield Health Sciences Complex.